Gas General - Frequently Asked Questions

1.  What should I do if I smell gas?

If there's a smell of gas in your property:

a)  Ensure there are no naked lights, do not smoke and do not operate any electrical switches that could generate a spark.

b)  Turn off your emergency control valve; this is the red lever tap normally located next to you gas meter.

c)  Leave doors and windows open to ventilate the property.

d)  Telephone the Emergency Service Provider free on 0800 111 999 and let them know the details.

e)  If the leak is outside the property up to your meter then the Emergency Service Provider will trace and fix the leak.  If it's inside the     property they'll cap your gas and ask you to call a Gas Safe engineer to fix the leak and restore your supply.

2.  What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, colourless poisonous gas which is produced by faulty gas appliances and is extremely dangerous if it leaks into your property.  Approximately 30 people a year die from carbon monoxide poisoning and many more become ill.

3.  What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

The symptoms are similar to flue; headache, nausea, dizziness and generally feeling lethargic.  If you think you are exhibiting the symptoms, do they get better when you leave the house, are other people in the house also exhibiting the symptoms, are they worse when your heating or gas fire is on.  If so then it is likely that you're exposed to carbon monoxide.

4.  What should I do if I think someone is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning?

If the symptoms are severe (eg someone is unconscious) then immediately phone the emergency services on 999 and follow the advice in paragraph 5 below..

If the symptoms are mild or just suspected then contact a Gas Safe engineer to attend your property and check your appliances are operating correctly and safely.  It's also wise to have them fit a carbon monoxide alarm at the same time.

5.  What should I do if my carbon monoxide alarm sounds?

a)  Turn off your appliances, open the windows and doors to ventilate the property.

b)  Evacuate the property and don't return until safe to do so.

c)  Call the emergency service provider on 0800 111 999.

6.  I live in a rented property, who is responsible for checking the gas appliances?

Your Landlord is responsible for ensuring the gas appliances (not owned by you) in the property, as well as the installation pipework, is checked annually.  See or page on Landlords & Tennant's.

7.  How can I check that my engineer is Gas Safe registered?

a)  If you know their business name or Gas Safe number then visit the Gas Safe website and enter their details into the search facility and ensure they are listed.

b)  Ask the engineer for their Gas Safe registration card when they attend your property.  Don't be afraid to ask!  Any genuine Gas Safe engineer will be more than happy to show you their ID card.